Thursday, September 26, 2013

Less than a week! (again...)


I've been in a ton of pain for the past week; it seems the cortisol injection my dr. gave me has worn off, and I've been having a pretty rough week.  Even a few steps without the crutches can be incredibly painful.  On the bright side, the surgery is coming up, and the prep work is almost done :)  Special thanks to anyone who volunteered to help move my stuff tomorrow in exchange for beer, pizza, and company.

New Surgeon!
After a long time dealing with my original OS's office trying to get the scheduling finalized, I thought I had October first locked in.  The assistant lady went on vacation again before I got all the details confirmed, and it was difficult to get answers.  I had my family change flights to accommodate the change in date, and then last week she called me asking to push out to the third.  I called up the guys at UCSF that I saw for my second opinion, and they had me scheduled for the first with all of my pre-op appointments and post-op instructions emailed to me within minutes.  Literally minutes!  And they're a 5 minute drive away, as opposed to the other side of the city, which is great.  Sure it wont be with the surgeon who i spent the most time seeing and growing to trust, but at some point the tradeoff isn't worth having my family rebook their flights.  And this new guy seems super legit; both times I saw him he was amazing at explaining all the technical details of what he would do and why.



Pre op appointments are cleared!
I had my pre-anesthesia screening yesterday, which was mostly just a repeat of the survey they had me fill out in preparation for the pre-anesthesia screening @_@.  There was a mixup because their system didn't have an option to put in "wisdom teeth removal" as a previous surgery, but they wanted to note that i'd been put under before.  Other than that, nothing really came up.  I saw my surgeon this afternoon and everything is good to go, other than a lecture on the importance of showing up on time (I deserved it, to be fair).

Let's check in on that checklist I made a few weeks ago...


[Prepping the apartment**] [Prepping the post-op medical stuff] [PUPPY***
[Work prep] [Personal comfort Prep] [Morale] [COMPLETE]
  • Move bed to downstairs bedroom
  • Move dresser to downstairs bedroom
  • Assemble TV stand in downstairs bedroom
  • Move TV off of desk upstairs onto TV stand in downstairs bedroom
  • Move desk from upstairs bedroom to living room
  • Get a reasonable work-from-home setup in the living room
  • Get the upstairs bedroom set up with clean linens for my grandmother
  • Do quad strengthening exercises compulsively
  • Do hip-strengthening exercises compulsively
  • Schedule post-op PT sessions with Megan
  • Get a second opinion (scheduled for the 9th)
  • Investigate renting a CPM machine (continuous passive motion)
  • Make arrangements for puppy for the 6 weeks following the operation :(
  • Get projects at work into happy state before taking time off for surgery
  • Solve internet connectivity issues from downstairs bedroom
  • Buy more pairs of athletic shorts (I'LL BE PANTS FREE FOR 6 WEEKS!)
  • Do all of the laundry
  • Get a haircut. Like... for reals this time.
  • Purchase a Wii-U: Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD is coming out sept. 20!!
  • Go to Disneyland.  Twice. At least.
Well the moving stuff is largely happening tomorrow afternoon, but pretty much everything else is good to go :)  Wii-U should arrive monday :D  Until then, I guess I just need to relax and keep working on my PT exercises (still doing swim class btw! Loving it!).  See new haircut below:


No comments:

Post a Comment